It’s my 1-year blogiversary! (And that’s totally a word.) To celebrate, some of my favourite posts of the past year.
- Analogies for explaining what linguistics is
- Lying, presuppositions, and Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- Cocktail party linguistics: Explaining English plurals to non-linguists
Learning and teaching linguistics:
- IPA Bingo
- Venn diagram of phonemes
- Protolinguistics: 6 ways to do linguistics in high school
- What and who is a protolinguist?
- (and the entire protolinguist series)
Learning a language:
- 12 ways to stop freezing up when you try to speak a second language
- Now you’re just a language that I used to know (parody)
- How to learn a third language (while keeping your second one)
- How to learn vocabulary in 12 steps (using science!)
- Quadrilabial clicks
- When two wugs love each other very much…
- Speaking in IPA
- Linguistics tumblr jokes
- (and everything tagged linguist humour)
And finally, a picture of linguistics cupcakes, shamelessly cribbed from thewantsies, although they look so delicious that now I want to make my own.
I feel obliged to bring to everyone’s attention that there is a terrible lack of pictures of linguistics baked goods on google image search. In fact, this was the only one that I could find. Anyone want to help fix this problem?